Monday, December 4, 2017

What's Out There in Space?--"Honor Among Thieves" by Rachel Caine and Ann Aguirre

See the source image
 
   Zara Cole is your average, prodigal criminal teenager living in the Lower Eight district of New Detroit except, she gets recruited for the Honors program where she will explore the universe on the Tour aboard an alien spaceship race called the Leviathan. Zara, her partner Beatriz, and Nadim, the Leviathan they are aboard, soon realize that space is a lot more dangerous than any of them ever thought. Will they be able to survive the Tour?
    It took me awhile to get into this book. I had some expectations as to what kind of story this was going to be because I read that fans of stories such as Illuminae and the 100 would like it. I love Illuminae (and it’s sequel Gemina) so I was really excited to start reading. Now that I think about it, Illuminae and Honor Among Thieves have similar reading paces because it was hard for me to get into Illuminae as well and I could stop reading at any point, so I wasn’t completely sucked into the story. Don’t get me wrong, this book was amazing, it just doesn’t have as much of an urgent pace as books I have read recently, which I would consider a good thing.
The pace is one of the things that made this book enjoyable for me to read. It was pleasant and did keep my interest once I got into the story! I found it interesting that the scenes with Leviathans in them had the most detail, I could see what they look like vividly. This is interesting because it reflects how complicated the Leviathan are, they look like spaceships but they are also living things that think and have feelings. I really enjoy reading all of the little details, especially of the settings so it caught my attention. I could visualize the settings and I could connect with the whole book this way.
Even though the future society that Aguirre and Caine created is unique, I didn’t feel intrigued to read about it. I think that Zara’s narration makes the city bland and turns off my interest. There are aspects that I want to know more about, but because Zara doesn’t care, we won’t get more information. She is closed off to the world and to herself as well, which makes her narration very restricted but I want to know more. I’m sure that we will get more answers as Zara and everyone else does, but as someone who loves getting the itty bitty details I want to know more about this future America.
Despite my hunger for the little things, I really liked this book, especially the imagery. I can’t wait for others to read it when it comes out in February 2018!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Sanctuary" by Caryn Lix

    Being a security guard for a prison in space that holds Earth’s most dangerous superpowered teenagers runs in the family and Kenz...